Eye Specialist Clinic was established since 2002. It is a convenient one-stop specialist centre that provides a wide range of services for both adults and children, from ophthalmological eye services, eye screening to even optical services.
Our range of services includes paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus, myopia control, cataract surgery, glaucoma surgery, LASIK surgery, oculoplastic/eyelid surgery, diabetic retinopathy, eye screening, various laser treatments, complicated eye problems and retinal surgery etc.
We are currently located at Paragon shopping centre. Our clinic is well equipped with the latest diagnostic instruments for eye examination, and an optical shop that consists of a comprehensive range of spectacles from new born babies to adults.
Our mission is to deliver the finest eyecare with skill, compassion, and the latest technology.
Dr. Khoo Boo Kian
- MBBS MMed (Spore) (Gold Medal)
- FAMS FRCS (Edin) (Gold Medal)
- Member American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
- Member American Association for Pediatric
- Ophthalmology & StrabismusFounder, Lions National Glaucoma Eye Screening Programme
- Advisor, National Myopia Prevention Programme
- Ex President- Singapore Society of Ophthalmology
- Ex Head- Pediatric Ophthalmology & Adult Strabismus, National Healthcare Group
- Member Asia-Pacific Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Qualifications and Training
- 1984 Basic medical degree MBBS from the National University of Singapore. Public Service Merit Scholarship
- 1989 Basic ophthalmology training in Singapore
- 1991 Trained in Tennant Institute of Ophthalmology, Glasgow
- 1991 Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Ophthalmology) ie FRCS
- 1992 Awarded Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Muthusamy Gold Medal for the Most Outstanding candidate for the entire academic year 1991-92 worldwide
- 1992 Master of Medicine (ophthalmology) from National University of Singapore ie MMed
- 1992 Master of Medicine Gold Medal for the top ophthalmology candidate from the National University of Singapore
- 1996 Fellow, MoorfieldsEyeHospital, Strabismus (squint) service, London. Health Ministry scholarship.
- 1997 Fellow, GreatOrmondStreetHospital for Sick Children, Dept of Ophthalmology, London. Health Ministry scholarship
- 1998 Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore ie FAMS
- 2005 Member of AmericanAcademy of Ophthalmology
- 2006 Member of American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
- Member of American Association for Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
Current Positions Held
- Director, Eye Specialist Clinic Pte Ltd
Past Positions Held
- President, Singapore Society of Ophthalmology 2001-2002
- Head, Paediatric Ophthalmology and adult strabismus service of The Eye Institute, National Healthcare Group 2001-2006
- Council Member, National Committee of Ophthalmology 2002 –2004
- Program director, National Healthcare Group Polyclinic’s Eye Screening for the Elderly Pilot Project in 9 polyclinics 2001-2002
- Visiting Consultant to the Health Promotion Board (HPB) for the National Myopia Prevention Programme 2002-2006
- Visiting Consultant to HPB refraction clinics in HPB, Choa Chu Kang and Woodlands.2002 – 2006
- Advisor, Ministry of Health for the National Myopia Prevention Program 2002-2006
- Director, Lions National Glaucoma Eye Screening Service 2000-2010
- I trained and refined my cataract surgery and general ophthalmology (e.g. diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, glaucoma etc.) at high volume in Singapore National Eye Centre and Tan Tock Seng Hospital from 1989.
- Paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus. I trained for a year at Great Ormond Street Hospital for sick children and Moorfield Eye Hospital Strabismus Service in 1996-1997.
- I was the founder-director of the Lions National Glaucoma Eye Screening Program and I have extensive glaucoma experience.
- Difficult Eye Problems: I am fully trained and competent in all surgical aspects of ophthalmology as I spent many years in a general ophthalmology department practicing all subspecialities including Oculoplastic Retina, Cornea and Glaucoma. This comprehensive training gave me confidence in handling complicated eye problems alone as well as handling any complications that might arise in the middle of surgery.
Dr. Xu Yanping
- MBBS (S’pore)
- MMed (Ophthalmology)
- FAMS (Ophthalmology)
Past Positions Held
- Consultant Glaucomatologist, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, Singapore
- Fellow, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
- Fellow, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
- Fellow, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Dr Xu is a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Eye Specialist Clinic. Dr Xu specialises in glaucoma surgery and treatment, minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS), complex cataract surgery and retinal disease treatment.
Dr Xu graduated from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore, and was awarded the distinguished Best House Officer award in 2010 which is awarded to the best intern across all house officers for the year and recognises her hard work and dedication towards her patients.
She completed her specialty training in Ophthalmology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital of the National Healthcare Group Eye Institute in 2016, before further subspecialising in glaucoma and glaucoma surgery. She then worked as a consultant in Ng Teng Fong General Hospital of the National University Health system as one of the lead glaucoma doctors where she managed a wide range of complex glaucoma conditions in both the public and private healthcare system.
She is one of only few glaucoma specialists to have completed 3 advanced training fellowships at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and Singapore National Eye Centre in Singapore and Royal Perth and Sir Charles Gairdner Hospitals in Australia, having trained under the mentorship of world-renowned glaucoma specialists at these prestigious centres. She has undergone specialised training in a diverse range of glaucoma surgeries including trabeculectomy, glaucoma filtration devices such as Ahmed, Baervedlt and Molteno tubes and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS). She also performs adjunctive laser procedures such as Micropulse transscleral cyclophotocoagulation, laser peripheral iridotomy and selective laser trabeculoplasty in the management of glaucoma patients.
Dr Xu also has a special interest in MIGS implants, and was honoured to be able to undergo a 3 rd fellowship in Australia to train under Professor William Morgan for more than a year, one of the founders of MIGS. She is highly adept at using MIGS with experience in all the widely used implants like the iStent inject, Hydrus microstent and XEN gel implant. She has managed complex glaucoma patients in both Asian and Caucasian populations, and is always keen to deliver the best surgical outcomes for her patients.
As a product of the Singapore education system, Dr Xu’s passion has always been in educating the future generations of doctors. She was Director of undergraduate education for Ophthalmology at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and was awarded the Dean’s Excellence Award by NUS in 2020 recognising her dedication in teaching medical students. She is an MBBS examiner for Ophthalmology and was also a clinical tutor for both the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore as well as the Lee Kong Chien School of Medicine at the Nanyang Technological University.
Dr Xu is fluent in English, Mandarin, Teochew and Malay. She is dedicated to patient care and is known to be a caring and supportive doctor to her patients. She is good with children and has a young child of her own. She enjoys cooking and travelling in her free time.
||Tang Poh Suan
Lim Pei Boon
Ooi Hui Ning
Koh Zi Yi
- Canon Autorefractor and Keratometer
- Nidek TonoRef II Autorefractor/ Keratometer and Non-contact Tonometer
- Nidek Non-contact Tonometer
- ICare Tonometer
- Carl Zeiss IOL Master
- Nidek AL Scan
- Nidek Non-mydriatic Fundus Camera
- Optomed Handheld Fundus Camera
- Optos Daytona – Ultra-Wide Field Retinal Imaging
- Carl Zeiss Cirrus Optical Coherrence Tomography(OCT)
- Nidek OPD-Scan III (Wavefront Aberrometer: Refractive Power/ Corneal Analyzer)
- Carl Zeiss Humphrey Visual Field Analyzer
- Carl Zeiss Frequency Doubling Technology (FDT)
- PlusOptix Videoretinoscopy
- Welch Allyn Vision Spot Screener
- B-scan Ultrasound
- M&S Smart System PC-Plus
- Topcon Digital Photo Imaging Slit Lamp
- Optical shop specialising in frames for both children and adults
- 3 fully equipped investigation rooms, 3 refraction rooms, 2 consultation rooms
- 1 procedure room for minor operation
- Wheelchair and disabled friendly washrooms are on the same level.
- Most eye medications are available in clinic.
- Videos, pamphlets and patients education material are also available.